Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis

I promise I'll get to some fun books, but Mere Christianity is a book that I think every Christian should read. It presents a framework for the Christian worldview. Although the doctrines are not always what I believe, it's written so I glean much more than I leave. The thing I love about Lewis is that he takes grand ideas and tells them to you in his perfectly understandable, British, grandfatherly voice. This book has an excellent chapter on morality. And Lewis is one of my favorite metaphor people. Here he uses a fleet of ships to illustrates our responsibility to ourselves, to each other, God, and our destination. He makes abstract ideas so clear to understand. This book is a gem! Here is one of my favorite quotes, mainly because I hear a lot of "patronising nonsense" at my crazy university. "Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."

2 comments:

Elijah G. said...

I saw on EC that you wanted people to leave comments on your blog. I just wanted to let you know that I really do visit a few times a week.

C.S. Lewis is truly awesome. I'm a big advocate of this book and have enjoyed everything I've read of his.

Have your read The Four Loves? I'm in the middle right now and am blown away by the fact that this may be my favorite book of the year. I'll probably post a top twenty list sometime around years end, so look for this one near the top.

Kristi said...

The Four Loves is incredible - his insight never ceases to amaze me. I should post on that book.