Saturday, June 20, 2020

Get a Grip

If we had to choose a metaphor for 2020, I would vote for an ice-covered rock cliff. I started writing some of these thoughts about peace pre-Corona, not realizing that we would be losing so much of our normal this year. As my dad used to say, “Boy howdy.” We need the peace of God in a special way right now.


Columbia Gorge
I had been surfing the Bible trying to build on, "Seek peace and pursue it,” from Psalm 37. Guess which verse I didn’t think I needed for my little study? Ephesians 6:15, “And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.” Thanks, God. Yes, the Whole Armor of God is a great prayer, but I’m looking for some real help here. And I almost moved on. 

But no! I was wrong. That metaphor is loaded. The preparation of the Gospel of Peace, or Gospel Boots, as one of my students called them, are not some soft pair of Bible Birkenstocks with white crew socks. (As an Oregonian, that’s my first mental image when we talk man sandals.) The Gospel of Peace is the foundation of armor. These are war shoes with protection and traction designed for rough, dangerous terrain. The Peace of God is our grip that allows us to walk wherever we’re called to go. 


I asked my brother, Kevin, to describe the experience of walking on slippery slopes because he hikes the Columbia Gorge in the dead of winter, more than our mother knows. He shared these stories (and all the photos here): 

 "We had freezing rain in the Gorge several years ago. Somewhat foolishly I drove our little red car out there one morning. Made it to Angel's Rest with no problems. There were several people at the trailhead and a few on the trail. However, it was quickly evident that nobody would make it very far.

The terrain starts off fairly flat but early on there are some very rocky sections that shoot upwards. Being out in the open with no tree cover, the rocks were covered in ice. A couple ahead of me was gingerly coming back down when they realized it would be foolish to continue in normal hiking shoes.

Angel's Rest

I anticipated the trail conditions and had brought rubber pull-on ice cleats. Slipped them on and tromped up the hill like I owned the place. Instantly this was now fun. I was serenaded by metal spikes scraping icy rocks. Going higher than anyone else guaranteed me solitude on this normally busy trail. 

Tackled a couple more hills with no issues until one of the seams came apart on my left cleat, making it pop off my boot. Oh boy! Had a moment of panic wondering how am I going to get down this steep hill with only one good foot with traction. This might be a bumpy rear-end slide. Took a deep breath, looked over the traction device and realized that it was designed to come apart for larger shoes. Whew! Snapped it back together and decided that was enough fun for the day and returned the way I came.

Guler Ice Cave

Another time I went to the Guler Ice Caves near Mt. Adams in Washington with a friend. The natural ice sculptures in there are pretty great. Rain and snow from above seep into the cave and freeze into all kinds of different shapes. Crazy neat and would love to go back. Traction is an absolute must because it's a solid sheet of ice on the cave floor. 

Guler Ice Cave

We used mini crampons which are a longer spike than the typical short nubs on walk-around-town types. It's a really fun feeling walking on something that would normally put you down hard on your face. The cave floor slopes inward and doesn't remain flat so even walking on angles the crampons make walking feel solid."

Starvation Creek

Peace makes walking feel solid. Peace lets us walk in confidence. Peace says, “The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places” (Habakkuk 3:19 KJ21). Peace reminds us, “He will not allow your feet to slip” (Psalm 121:3 AMP). We would be foolish to think we can make it on our own. We need God's peace, or we fall. 

We’re human, and sometimes we snap, and we have to stop, sit, take a deep breath, and get connected with Peace all over again. I’ve had to do that often this year, and maybe you have too. The instability has been relentless. My prayer is that the razor-sharp promises of God will cut deep into the unknowns for us, and allow us to push forward. His peace will hold us, balance us, and keep us walking with confidence into uncertain days.

Because He lives, we can! 

No comments: